In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lyng like this:
LING, or LYNG, a village and a parish in Bridgewater district, Somerset. The village stands near the river Tone, the Bridgewater and Taunton canal, and the Durston and Athelney stations of the Bridgewater and Yeovil railway, 6 miles SSE of Bridgewater; and has a postoffice under Taunton, and a fair on the first Monday of Aug.-?he parish includes Athelney island, and part of Burrowbridge chapel?. Acres, 1,409. Real property, £3,523. Pop., 390. Houses, 77. The property is divided chiefly among four. The manor belongs to R. Gatcombe, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Valne, £121. Patron, R. K. Meade King, Esq. The church is ancient but good; and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. There is a national school. See ATHELNEY.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lyng has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sedgemoor. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lyng and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lyng, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lyng".