In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Lydford like this:
LYDFORD (EAST), a parish in Shepton-Mallet district, Somerset; on the river Brue and the Fosse way, 4 miles W of Castle-Cary r. station. Post town, Somerton, under Taunton. Acres, 706. Real property, £1,455. Pop., 178. Houses, 43. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £186.* Patron, the Rev. J. J. Moss. The old church stood in a low meadow, and became very dilapidated. The present church was built on another site, in 1866, at a cost of nearly £3,000, all defrayed by the Rev. j. J. Moss; is in the early English style; comprises nave and chancel, with a bold S porch; and has a tower at the N side of the chancel-arch, square in the basement, octagonal above, and surmounted by a spire about 100 feet high.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing East Lydford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mendip. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering East Lydford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Lydford, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "East Lydford".