In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hutton Rudby like this:
HUTTON, a township and a sub-district in Stokesley district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township is in Rudby-in-Cleveland parish; bears the alternative name of Hutton-Rudby; lies on the river Leven, near the North Yorkshire and Cleveland railway, 4 miles WSW of Stokesley; and has a post office, of the name of HuttonRudby, under Yarm. Acres, 2, 341. Real property, £3, 715. Pop., 769. Houses, 189. The linen manufacture is largely carried on. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school. -The sub-district contains also four other townships of Rudby-in-Cleveland, two of Whorlton, and the entire parishes of Arncliffe and Crathorne, and is in Stokesley district. Acres, 19, 109. Pop., 2, 528. Houses, 557.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hutton Rudby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hambleton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hutton Rudby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hutton Rudby, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hutton Rudby".