In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Huntington like this:
HUNTINGTON, two villages, a township, and a parish, in York district and N. R. Yorkshire. The villages are East H. and West H.; and they stand on the river Foss, near the York and Market-Weighton and the York and Scarborough railways, 3 miles NNE of York. The township includes the villages; has a station on the York and Market-Weighton railway; and comprises 2, 557 acres. Pop., 529. Houses, 115. The parish contains also the townships of Earswick and Towthorpe, and comprises 4, 607 acres. Post town, York. Real property, £6, 562. Pop., 671. Houses, 144. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Earl de Grey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £127. Patrons, the Subchanters and Vicars choral of York cathedral. The church is ancient. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £9.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Huntington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of York. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Huntington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Huntington, in York and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Huntington".