In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Abbots Leigh like this:
ABBOTS-LEIGH, a parish in Bedminster district, Somerset; on the left bank of the Avon, near Rownham ferry, 3½ miles WNW of Bristol. It has a post office under Bristol. Acres, 2,228. Real property, £3,822. Pop., 366. Houses, 66. Limestone is quarried. Leigh Court, the seat of Sir William Miles, Bart., is an elegant structure, with Ionic porticoes, commanding a fine view across the Bristol channel; and contains a splendid collection of pictures. An ancient manor-house, near the site of this mansion, belonging to the ancient family of Norton, and gave concealment to Charles II. after the battle of Worcester. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £77.* Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was mostly burnt down about 1848, and afterwards partly restored, partly rebuilt. Charities, £33.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Abbots Leigh has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Abbots Leigh and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abbots Leigh in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Abbots Leigh".