In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Adwick le Street like this:
ADWICK-LE-STREET, a township and a parish in an Doncaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies an on Ermine-street and near the West Riding and Grimsby railway, 4 miles N W of Doncaster; and has a r. station. Acres, 1,614. Pop., 280. Houses, 61. The parish includes also the township of Hampole. Post Town, Doncaster. Acres, 3,034. Real property, £2,987. Pop., 440. Houses, 95. The manor belongs to S. A. Thellusson, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £450.* Patron, J. Fullerton, Esq. The church is good; and there are two Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school with £10 a year, and charities £19.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Adwick le Street has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Doncaster. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Adwick le Street and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Adwick le Street, in Doncaster and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st September 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Adwick le Street".