In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lamyat like this:
LAMYATT, a parish, with a village, in Shepton-Mallet district, Somerset; 2 miles N of Bruton r. station, and 1 SE of Evercreech station. Post-town, Evercreech, under Bath. Acres, 1,000. Real property, £2,612. Pop., 290. Houses, 49. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to E. B. Napier, Esq. Creech Hill consists of oolite, and was a Saxon stronghold. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £266. * Patrons, Trustees. The church is later English; was internally restored in 1853; and consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower. There is a national school. A Wesleyan chapel was built in 1865-6.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lamyat has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mendip. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lamyat and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lamyat, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lamyat".