In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knowle St Giles like this:
KNOWLE-ST. GILES, a parish in Chard district, Somerset; on the Chard canal, 2 miles NE by N of Chard r. station. Post town, Chard. Acres, 540. Real property, with Chaffcombe, £2, 896. Rated property of K. alone, £733. Pop., 104. Houses, 22. The manor and most of the property belong to Earl Poulett. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Valne, £72. Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is plain and good, and has a bell turret.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Knowle St Giles has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Knowle St Giles and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knowle St Giles in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Knowle St Giles".