In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Harptree like this:
HARPTREE (EAST), a village and a parish in Clutton district, Somerset. The village stands near the source of the river Yeo, under the Mendip hills, 6½ miles N of Wells r. station; and has a post-office‡ under Bristol. The parish includes also the hamlet of Coley, and comprises 2,770 acres. Real property, £4,305; of which £200 are in mines. Pop., 657. Houses, 154. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Countess Waldegrave. Harptree Court, long the seat of the Waldegraves, is a pleasant mansion. ...
The Lamb cavern is in mountain limestone W of the village; and the source of the Yeo is a copious stream gushing from the rock further W. The rocks include manganese and zinc; and the subsoil consists largely of a kind of breccia. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £106.* Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and contains a figured altar-tomb of Sir John Newton, who died in 1568. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £13, and other charities with £77.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing East Harptree has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bath and North East Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering East Harptree and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Harptree in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "East Harptree".