In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hilton like this:
HILTON, a parish in Stokesley district, N. R. Yorkshire; on the river Leven, near the boundary with Durham, 3½ miles ESE of Yarm r. station. Post town, Yarm. Acres, 1, 340. Real property, £1, 525. Pop., 127. Houses, 29. The property belonged, in the time of Henry III., to the family of Hilton; and belongs now to the Duke of Devonshire. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £50. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is good, and has a tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hilton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stockton on Tees. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hilton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hilton, in Stockton on Tees and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hilton".