In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Staveley like this:
STAVELEY, a village, a township, and a parish, in Chesterfield district, Derby. The village stands near the Midland railway, 4 miles NE of Chesterfield; and has a post-office‡ under Chesterfield, a r. station with telegraph, and a mechanics' institute with library and reading room. The township comprises 6,682 acres. Real property, £27,548; of which £14,170 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 3,998; in 1861, 6,831. Houses, 1,207. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of coal and iron works. ...
The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire.The parish includes Great Barlow chapelry, and comprises 10,442 acres. Pop. in 1851, 4,634; in 1861, 7,513. Houses, 1,344. Ringwood Hall is the seat of R. Barrow, Esq. The Staveley coal and iron works employ upwards of 3,000 persons; and there are manufactories of spades and shovels, a brush manufactory, and corn, cake, and bone-mills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £706.* Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church was enlarged in 1864. The p. curacy of Barlow is a separate benefice. A chapel of ease is at Handley; an endowed hospital, with a chapel, is at Woodthorpe; and a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school, and charities £80 are at Staveley.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Staveley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chesterfield. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Staveley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Staveley, in Chesterfield and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Staveley".