In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oadby like this:
OADBY, a village and a parish in Blaby district, Leicestershire. The village stands 2¾ miles E N E of Wigston r. station, and 3½ S E of Leicester; is a large place, chiefly of one long street, very clean and neatlyedificed; carries on framework-knitting for the Leicester manufacturers; and has a postal letter-box under Leicester, and an inn. The parish comprises 1, 560 acres. Real property, £5, 707. Pop. in 1851, 1, 196; in 1861, 1, 254. Houses, 268. The property is subdivided. ...
The manor belongs to H. L. Powys-Keck, Esq. The parish is a meet for the Quarndon hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £210. Patrons, Certain Guardians. The church is ancient; was extensively repaired in 1853; has a tower with octagonalspire; and contains a piscina, sedilia, and several ancient monuments. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, national and infant schools, and charities £44.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Oadby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Oadby and Wigston. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Oadby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oadby, in Oadby and Wigston and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Oadby".