In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harome like this:
HARUM, or HAROME, a chapelry in Helmsley parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on the rivers Rye and Riccal, 2 miles SE by E of Helmsley, and 4 N of Hovingham r. station. Post town, Helmsley, under York. Acres, 2, 303. Real property, £3, 093. Pop., 447. Houses, 90. The rivers Rye and Riccal emerge here after a subterraneous run of nearly a mile. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £100.* Patron, Lord Feversham. The church was rebuilt in 1862; measures 73 feet by 23; is highly ornamented; and has a bell tower rising from richly carved corbels. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school with £10 a year.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Harome has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ryedale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Harome and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harome, in Ryedale and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Harome".