Place:


Kirk Hammerton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirk Hammerton like this:

HAMMERTON (KIRK), a village and a township in Knaresborongh district, and a parish partly also in Tadcaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Nidd, near Hammerton r. station, 8 miles E of Knaresborongh; and has a post office under York. The township comprises 996 acres. ...


Real property, £, 201. Pop., 310. Houses, 71. The parish includes also the township of Wilstrop, and comprises 2, 018 acres. Real property, £, 419. Pop., 400. Houses, 89. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Col. Thomson. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £132.* Patron, the Rev.N. Paulet. The church is ancient, in tolerable condition; and has parts of different dates and characters. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £6.

Kirk Hammerton through time

Kirk Hammerton is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirk Hammerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirk Hammerton, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12819

Date accessed: 20th October 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirk Hammerton ".