In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Limber like this:
LIMBER-MAGNA, a village and a parish in Caistor district, Lincoln. The village stands on the Wolds, 4 miles S by E of Ulceby r. station, and 5 N by E of Caistor; and has a post office, of the name of Limber, under Ulceby. The parish comprises 5,180 acres. Real property, £8,213. Pop., 514. Houses, 91. The manor belongs to the Earl of Yarborough. Au alien priory, a cell to Aulnoy abbey in Normandy, was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by Richard de Humet; went, in the time of Richard II., to the Carthusian abbey of St. ...
Anne, near Coventry; and, as part of that abbey's possessions, was given, at the dissolution, to John Bellow and others. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £623. * Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old but good, and has a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school for this and four other parishes, a working men's library, and charities £10.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Limber has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Lindsey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Limber and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Limber, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Limber".