In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dunkerton like this:
DUNKERTON, a parish in Bath district, Somerset; on the Fosse way and the Somerset canal, near the line of projected railway to Radstock, 5 miles SW by S of Bath. It contains Carlingcott; and has a post office under Bath. Acres, 1, 233. Real property, £2, 819. Pop., 1, 060. Houses, 228. The property is much sub-divided. A coal-field, which has its centre at Radstock, begins at Dunkerton; and the pits of it pass through three formations, lower oolite, has, and new red sand-stone, before reaching the coal. ...
A child born in Dunkerton, in the present century, walked by himself when six months old; and measured 2 feet 9 inches in height, and 2 feet 4 inches round the chest, when twelve months old. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £420.* Patron, the Rev. F. Sowdon. The church was rebuilt in 1860; and there are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dunkerton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bath and North East Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dunkerton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dunkerton in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dunkerton".