In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lea like this:
LEA, a parish in Gainsborough district, Lincoln; on the Gainsborough and Lincoln railway, adjacent to the river Trent, at the boundary with Notts, 2¼ miles SSE of Gainsborough. It has a post office under Gainsborough. Acres, 2, 149. Real property, £3, 396. Pop., 194. Houses, 39. The property, with the manor and Lea Hall, belongs to Sir Charles H. J. Anderson, Bart. A Cistertian nunnery was founded in 1180, at Hevening or Heyning, by Reyner Evermere; and has left some traces. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £450. * Patron, SirH. J. Anderson, Bart. The church is early English, was recently restored, has a tower, and contains an altar tomb to Sir Ralph de Trehampton, and some other monuments.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lea has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Lindsey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lea and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lea, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lea".