In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Laughton By Gainsborough like this:
LAUGHTON, a village, a township, and a parish in Gainsborough district, Lincoln. The village stands 2 miles N of Blyton r. station, and 6 NE by N of Gainsborough; is a pleasant place; and has a post-office under Gainsborough. The township comprises 3,972 acres. Pop., 365. Houses, 67. The parish contains also the hamlet-chapelry of Wildsworth: and comprises 4,598 acres. Real property, £4,227. Pop., 515. Houses, 94. The property is divided between four. The manor belongs to H. C. M. Ingram, Esq. ...
About 1,000 acres are sandy common. The living is a vicarage, including the chapelry of Wildsworth, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £258.* Patron, H. C. M. Ingram, Esq. The parish church is good, has a tower, and contains a triple canopied brass of 1400. The church of Wildsworth was built in 1838. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a free school with £20 a year.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Laughton By Gainsborough has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Lindsey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Laughton By Gainsborough and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Laughton by Gainsborough, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Laughton By Gainsborough".