In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Drayton like this:
DRAYTON, a parish in Langport district, Somerset; adjacent to the river Isle, and to the Durston and Yeovil railway, 1½ mile SW of Langport. It includes the tything of Middleney, the hamlet of Westover, and part of the tythings of Burton-Pynsent and Week; and its post town is Langport, under Taunton. Acres, 2, 165. Real property, £3, 581. Pop., 557. Houses, 118. Limestone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £97. Patron, R. T. Combe, Esq. The church is later English, with a Norman doorway. There is a parochial school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Drayton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Drayton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Drayton in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Drayton".