Place:


South Kyme  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Kyme like this:

KYME (SOUTH), a township and a parish in Sleaford district, Lincoln. The township lies on Car-Dyke, 5 miles SW of Dogdyke r. station, and 7 ENE of Sleaford. Acres, 4,868. Real property, £7,678. Pop., 549. Houses, 103. The parish contains also the township of North Kyme; and its post-town is Sleaford. ...


The property of both townships belongs to the Hon. Charles H. Cust. The manor house is occupied by B. Chambers, Esq. A black priory was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by Philip de Kyme; and was given, at the dissolution, to the Earl of Rutland and Robert Tirwhit. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £99.* Patron, the Hon. C. H. Cust. The church

South Kyme through time

South Kyme is now part of North Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Kyme itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Kyme, in North Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12774

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Kyme ".