In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dowlish Wake like this:
DOWLISH-WAKE, or East Dowlish, a parish in Chard district, Somerset; near the Chard canal, 2 miles SE by S of Ilminster r. station, and 4 NE of Chard. Post town, Ilminster. Acres, together with West Dowlish, 1, 282. Real property, with West Dowlish, £2, 894. Pop., 319. Houses, 75. The property, inclusive of West Dowlish, is all in one estate. Limestone is quarried. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of West Dowlish, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £356. Patron, W. Speke, Esq. The church was rebuilt in a handsome manner, in 1862.
Dowlish Wake is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dowlish Wake itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dowlish Wake in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dowlish Wake ".