In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Doulting like this:
DOULTING, a parish in Shepton-Mallet district, Somerset; on the East Somerset railway, 2 miles E of Shepton-Mallet. It includes the hamlet of Prestleigh; and its post town is Shepton-Mallet. Acres, 3, 600. Real property, £4, 065. Pop., 667. Houses, 127. The property is much subdivided. A light brown building-stone, in the inferior oolite, is quarried, and was the material of Wells cathedral and Glastonbury Abbey. The fountain-head of the river Dulcot is here, and bears the name of St. ...
Aldhelm's well. St. Aldhelm died in the parish in 709, and was buried in Malmesbury abbey. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacies of East Cranmore, West Cranmore, and Downhead, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £640.* Patron, Colonel Horn The church is cruciform, with octagonal tower. and spire; and was about to be restored in 1869, at a cost of about £4, 000. An ancient cross is in the churchyard; and a fine barn, which belonged to Glastonbury abbey, is near the church. There is a parochial school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Doulting has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mendip. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Doulting and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Doulting, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Doulting".