In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cucklington like this:
CUCKLINGTON, a village and a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset. The village stands near the boundary with Dorset, 2 miles N of Templecombe r. station, and 3 E by S of Wincauton; and was once a market-town. The parish includes also the hamlet of Clapton-Forms; and its post town is Templecombe, under Bath. Acres, 2, 865. Real property, with Stoke and Bayford, £5, 646. Pop., 280. Houses, 66. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Stoke-Trister and the p. curacy of Bayford, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £609.* Patron, W. Phelips, Esq. The church is early English; consists of nave, aisles, transept, and chancel, with tower and spire; and is good. Charities £29.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cucklington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cucklington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cucklington in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th November 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cucklington".