In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Croscombe like this:
CROSCOMBE, a village and a parish in Shepton-Mallet district, Somerset. The village stands on the river Brue, 2 miles WNW of Shepton-Mallet r. station; has a post office under Wells, an inn, and a cross; was once a market-town; and had formerly a priory, some remains of which still exist in the inn. The parish comprises 1, 432 acres. Real property, £3, 256. Pop., 729. Houses, 159. Maesbury Castle, an entrenched area of 6 acres, on the Mendip hills, and on the line of the Fosse way, is near. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £222.* Patron, Miss E. Wylie. The church is perpendicular English, with embattled parapet, and a fine tower and spire There are a Baptist chapel, a parochial school, and charities £32.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Croscombe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mendip. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Croscombe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Croscombe, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Croscombe".