In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Cranmore like this:
CRANMORE (West), a parish in Shepton-Mallet district, Somerset; on the East Somerset railway, under the Mendip hills, adjacent to Cranmore r. station, 3¼ miles E-Shepton-Mallet. It has a post office under Shepton-Mallet. Acres, 1,814. Real property, £3, 434. Pop., 292. Houses, 67. Cranmore Hall is the seat of the Pagets; and South-Hill is the seat of Sir E. Strode. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Doulting, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church is old. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing West Cranmore has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mendip. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering West Cranmore and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Cranmore, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West Cranmore".