In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cothelstone like this:
COTHELSTONE, a parish in Taunton district, Somerset; among the Quantock hills, near the Taunton and Watchet railway, 2 miles NE of Bishops-Lydeard r. station, and 6½ NNW of Taunton. Post town, Bishops-Lydeard, under Taunton. Acres, 906. Real property, £1, 286. Pop., 107. Houses, 24. The property is divided among a few. Cothelstone Park is the seat of E. J. Esdaile, Esq. Cothelstone old manor-house, now a farm-house, is an ivy-clad edifice, in a singular style of architecture, with series of pillars decorating the front, and forming large oblong windows; and has the arms of Stawel over the doorway. Cothelstone Hill is 1, 250 feet high; and commands a very extensive view. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £58. Patron, the Vicar of Kingston. The church contains some ancient monuments; and is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cothelstone has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Taunton Deane. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cothelstone and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cothelstone, in Taunton Deane and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cothelstone".