In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Irby in the Marsh like this:
IRBY-IN-THE-MARSH, a village and a parish in Spilsby district, Lincoln. The village stands near the river Steeping, and near Firsby r. station, 5 miles ESE of Spilsby. The parish comprises 1, 090 acres; and its post town is Spilsby. Real property, £1, 427. Pop., 169. Houses, 36. The property is much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £83. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church is very ancient but good; and consists of nave and chancel, with a low tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, an endowed national school, and a share with Burgh-le-Marsh in Holden's charity.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Irby in the Marsh has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Lindsey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Irby in the Marsh and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Irby in the Marsh, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Irby in the Marsh".