Place:


Bletchley  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bletchley like this:

BLETCHLEY, a township and a parish in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks. The township lies adjacent to Watling-street, and on the Northwestern railway, at the junction of the branches to Bedford, Oxford, and Banbury, 14 miles, by railway, E of Buckingham; and it has a station on the railway, and a head post office‡ of the name of Bletchley Station. ...


Acres, 1,180. Real property, £1,700. Pop., 426. Houses, 97. The parish includes also the hamlet of Water-Eaton and part of the township of Fenny-Stratford. Acres, 3,150. Real property, with the rest of Fenny-Stratford, £8,843. Pop., 1,658. Houses, 361. The property is divided among a few. The original head-manor was Water-Eaton; and was given by William the Conqueror to Geoffry, Bishop of Constance in Normandy. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £456.* Patron, Joseph Bennitt, Esq. The church is a handsome Gothic structure, with a tower; and contains the tomb of Lord Grey de Wilton, who died in 1442, and a curious tablet to Dr. Sparke, who was rector in 1616.

Bletchley through time

Bletchley is now part of Milton Keynes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Milton Keynes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bletchley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bletchley, in Milton Keynes and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1264

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bletchley ".