In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ferrybridge like this:
FRYSTONE (Ferry), a township and a parish in Pontefract district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Aire, and on the Great Northern railway, 1½ mile NW of Knottingley r. station, and 2 NE of Pontefract; and is said to be partly in Pontefract parish. Ferry-Frystone parish includes the hamlets of Water-Frystone, Wheldale, and Ferrybridge; the last of which has a post office under Normanton. Acres, 3, 040. Real property, £7, 033; of which £540 are in quarries. Pop., 904. Houses, 201. The property is much sub-divided. Frystone Hall is the seat of Lord Houghton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £240. Patrons, the Sub-Chanter and Vicars-Choral of York Cathedral. The church dates from the 11th century, and has a tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Clarkson's alms-houses have £10; and other charities £162.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ferrybridge has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wakefield. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ferrybridge and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ferrybridge, in Wakefield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ferrybridge".