In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Foxholes like this:
FOXHOLES, a township and a parish in Driffield district, E. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Wolds, 4¼ miles SSE of Ganton r. station, and 10 N of Great Driffield; and is conjoint with. Boythorpe. Real property, £2, 942. Pop., 319. Houses, 57. The parish includes also the township of Butterwick; and its post town is Thwing, under Hull. Acres, 4, 200. Real property, £4, 555. Pop., 428. Houses, 73. The property is divided among a few. The living -is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £531.* Patron, B. Sykes, Esq. The church has a fine Norman chancel-arch, and a bell-turret; and is good. The vicarage of Butterwick is a separate benefice. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Foxholes has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ryedale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Foxholes and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Foxholes, in Ryedale and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Foxholes".