In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Foston on the Wolds like this:
FOSTON-ON-THE-WOLDS, a township, a parish. and a sub-district in Driffield district, E. R. Yorkshire, The township lies on a headstream of the river Hull, 3½ miles S of Lowthorpe r. station, and 5 ESE of Great Driffield. Acres, 1, 110. Real property, £1, 665. Pop., 311. Houses, 74.The parish contains also the townships of Brigham, Gembling, and Great Kelk; and its post town is North Frodingham, under Driffield. Acres, 4, 934. Real property, £6, 585. Pop., 759. Houses, 156. ...
The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £102. Patron, Miss Bayles. The church has a nave of four bays, with round pillars and painted arches; contains a round font; and is very good. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists.The sub-district contains also four other parishes, and parts of two others. Acres, 17, 437. Pop., 3, 171. Houses, 672.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Foston on the Wolds has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Riding of Yorkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Foston on the Wolds and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Foston on the Wolds, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Foston on the Wolds".