In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hogsthorpe like this:
HOGSTHORPE, a village and a parish in Spilsby district, Lincoln. The village stands 2 miles from the coast, 5 ESE of Willoughby r. station, and 7 SE of Alford; is large and pleasant; and has a post office under Alford. The parish contains also the hamlets of Slackholme, Anthorpe-Row, and part of Helsey. Acres, 2, 971. Real property, £6, 742. Pop., 874. Houses, 198. The manor belongs to Sir Richard H.Rycroft, Bart. There are brick fields and corn mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £100.* Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is mainly early English, with a tower; but has transition Norman massive pillars, and was restored in 1854. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, national schools, and charities £100. The schools were built in 1857, at a cost of £1, 000; and are in the early English style.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hogsthorpe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Lindsey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hogsthorpe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hogsthorpe, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hogsthorpe".