In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Churchill like this:
CHURCHILL, a parish in Axbridge district, Somerset; under the Mendip hills, 3½ miles S by E of Yatton r. station, and 4 N of Axbridge. It has a post office under Congresbury, Somerset. Acres, 2, 397. Real property, £5, 504. Pop., 810. Houses, 168. The property is much subdivided. Roger de Leon or de Courcil, the ancestor of the Churchills, settled here at the Conquest. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £98. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is later English, and has a pinnacled tower. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £32.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Churchill has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Churchill and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Churchill in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Churchill".