Place:


Fewston  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fewston like this:

FEWSTON, a township, a parish, and a sub-district in Otley district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Washburn, in Knaresborough forest, 4¼ miles SSW of Darley r. station, and 6 N of Otley. Acres, 1, 760. Real property, £1, 950. Pop. in 1851, 399; in 1861, 496. Houses, 100. ...


The increase of pop. arose from the opening of a large silk mill. The parish contains also the townships of Blubberhouses, Great Timble, and Clifton-with-Norwood; the first of which has a post office under Otley. Acres, 16, 584. Rated property, £8, 235. Pop., 1, 485. Houses, 313. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Thurcross, in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The parish church has a square tower, and is good. The church of Thurcross is small. There is also a new chapelry of Blubberhouses, with p. curate; but no statistics of it, either civil or ecclesiastical, are returned. There are three Wesleyan chapels, a Primitive Methodist chapel, two public schools, and charities £36.—The sub-district contains also another parish, and parts of two others. Acres, 21, 273. Pop., 2, 526. Houses, 511.

Fewston through time

Fewston is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fewston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fewston, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12578

Date accessed: 21st September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fewston ".