In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cowpen like this:
COWPEN, a township in Horton parish, Northumberland; at the mouth of the river Blyth, 1 mile W by N of Blyth. It has a post office, of the name of Cowpen, Northumberland. Acres, 1, 707. Pop., 6, 291. Houses, 1, 238. Coal is largely worked. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cowpen has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Blyth Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cowpen and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cowpen, in Blyth Valley and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cowpen".