In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chilcompton like this:
CHILCOMPTON, a parish in Clutton district, Somerset; near the east end of the Mendip hills, 6½ miles N by E of Shepton-Mallet r. station, and 7½ NE by N of Wells. It has a post office under Bath. Acres, 1, 233. Real property, £3, 395. Pop., 730. Houses, 155. The property is subdivided. Coal and red sandstone occur. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £129. Patron, H. S. W. Tooker, Esq. The church is modern. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chilcompton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mendip. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chilcompton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chilcompton, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chilcompton".