In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chewton Mendip like this:
CHEWTON-MENDIP, a village in Wells district, and a parish in Wells and Clutton districts, Somerset. The village lies under the Mendip hills, 5½ miles NNE of Wells r. station; has a post office under Bath; is a seat of petty sessions; was the Ciwtune of Alfred's will; and gives the title of Viscount to the Earl of Waldegrave. The parish includes also the tything of North Widcombe. Acres, 6, 514. Real property, £7, 709. Pop., 976. Houses, 217. The property is subdivided. Chewton Priory is a seat on the site of an ancient monastery. ...
There are lead mines, lime works, and quarries. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Emborough, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; and, till 1867, was united also with Farington-Gurney and Stone-Easton. Value, £420.* Patron, R. P. Philpott, Esq. The church is partly Norman, and has a very fine late English tower, 126 feet high. There are chapels for Wesleyans and U. Free Methodists. Charities, £31.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chewton Mendip has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mendip. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chewton Mendip and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chewton Mendip, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chewton Mendip".