In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hemswell like this:
HEMSWELL, a village and a parish in Gainsborough district, Lincoln. The village stands in a valley among the Wolds, 5¼ miles SSE of Northorpe r. station, and 7 h E of Gainsborough; and has a post office under KirtonLindsey. The parish contains also the hamlet of Spittal-in-the-Street, and is traversed by Ermine street. Acres, 2, 890. Real property, £4, 036. Pop., 465. Houses, 91. The manor belongs to the Right Hon. Charles T. D, Eyncourt. An hospital for poor widows, with a small chapel, is at Spittal; was founded in the time of Edward II.; and is under the protection of the dean and chapter of Lincoln. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £63.* Patron, the Rev. James Adcock. The church is good, and has a tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a few small charities.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hemswell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Lindsey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hemswell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hemswell, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hemswell".