In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Catcott like this:
CATCOTT, a chapelry in Moorlinch parish, Somerset; 3 miles SSW of Shapwick r. station, and 7 ENE of Bridgewater. It includes part of Burtle hamlet. Post Town, Bridgewater. Acres, 2,256. Real property, £3,701. Pop., 740. Houses, 159. The property is much subdivided. The living is a donative in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £100.* Patron, A. Henniker, Esq. The church is Norman. There are two Methodist chapels, a free school, a national school, and charities £60.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Catcott has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sedgemoor. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Catcott and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Catcott, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Catcott".