In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cannington like this:
CANNINGTON, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Somerset. The village stands 2 miles SSW of a bend of the river Parret, and 3½ NW by W of Bridgewater r. station; and has a post office‡ under Bridgewater. It dates from ancient times; was known to the Saxons as Caninganmaersees; had a Benedictine nunnery, founded in the time of King Stephen, by Robert de Courcy; and is supposed to have been the birth place of the Fair Rosamond, of ballad notoriety. ...
The parish includes also the hamlets of Edstock and Beer; impinges some distance on the Parret; and is in the district of Bridgewater. Acres, 5,015; of which 380 are water. Real property, £4,850. Pop., 1,419. Houses, 320. The manor belongs to Lord Clifford. Cannington Park, the seat of Lord Clifford's ancestors, is now occupied as a grazing farm. Brymere House is the seat of the Hon. P. Pleydell Bouverie. Kithill, in the vicinity, has an altitude of 1,067 feet. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £371.* Patron, Lord Clifford. The church was part of the Benedictine nunnery; is later English, and fine; and contains tombs of the Cliffords. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, a national school, a charity for alms-houses and for the poor amounting to £330 a year, and other charities £34. -The hundred contains ten parishes. Acres, 28,411. Pop., 5,700. Houses, 1,252.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cannington, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cannington ".