In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Queen Camel like this:
CAMEL (Queen), a village and a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset. The village stands near the river Yeo, on an affluent of that river, 1 mile SW of Sparkford r. station, and 6 ENE of Ilchester; and has a post office‡ under Taunton. Fairs are held at it on 11 June and 25 Oct.; and a sulphurous spring, of some note, is a mile to the west. The parish comprises 2,498 acres. Real property, £4,975. Pop., 734. Houses, 152. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £222.* Patron, P. S. J. Mildmay, Esq. The church is very good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £11.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Queen Camel has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Queen Camel and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Queen Camel in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Queen Camel".