Place:


West Halton  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Halton like this:

HALTON (WEST), a village and a parish in GlanfordBrigg district, Lincoln. The village stands in a vale, near the Humber, 2½ miles NW of Winterton, and 6½ N by E of Frodingham r. station. The parish contains also the hamlet of Coleby, and part of the township of Gunhouse; and its post town is Winterton, under Brigg. ...


Acres, 4, 870. Real property, £, 721. Pop., 422. Houses, 90. The property is divided among four or five. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster; and is leased to John B. Slater, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £900.* Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church was built in 1695; is in the pointed style; and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities £30.

West Halton through time

West Halton is now part of North Lincolnshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lincolnshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Halton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Halton in North Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12509

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Halton ".