In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Cadbury like this:
CADBURY (South), a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset; adjacent to the Frome and Yeovil railway, 1½ mile E of Sparkford r. station, and 6 WSW of Wincanton. Post Town, North Cadbury, under Bath. Acres, 800. Real property, with Sutton-Monks, Weston, and Bampfylde, £4,663. Pop., 287. House, 56. The property is divided among a few. Cadbury House is the seat of J. Bennett, Esq. Cadbury fort, situated on the northern extremity of a ridge of hills, and anciently called Camelet, is thought to have been a Roman station, and probably was the Cathbrigion where Arthur routed the Saxons in a great battle; has yielded weapons, articles of camp equipage, a silver horseshoe, and many Roman coins; comprises four concentric deep ditches, and as many massive ramparts, enclosing an area of about 20 acres; and has in the centre a moated mound, called King Arthur's Palace, and in the fourth ditch, a spring called King Arthur's Well. ...
The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, not reported.* Patron, J. Bennett, Esq. The church is good
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing South Cadbury has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering South Cadbury and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Cadbury in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "South Cadbury".