In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Butcombe like this:
BUTCOMBE, a parish in Axbridge district, Somerset; near the river Yeo, 5 miles SE of Nailsea r. station, and 8 NE of Axbridge. Post Town, Chew Stoke, under Bristol. Acres, 983. Real property, £1,582. Pop., 223. Houses, 52. The property is much subdivided. Butcombe Court is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £248. Patron, the Rev. W. H. Cartwright. The church is very ancient, and in fair condition.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Butcombe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Butcombe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Butcombe in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Butcombe".