In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tong like this:
TONG, a township and two chapelries in Birstall parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 1 mile NNE of Birkenshaw r. station, and 4¼ ESE of Bradford; and contains a village of its own name, and five hamlets. Post town, Leeds. Acres, 2,644. Real property, £9,695; of which £3,527 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 2,797; in 1861, 3,035. Houses, 664. The manor, with T. Hall, belongs to Col. Tempest.-The chapelries are Tong and Tong-Street; and they are jointly conterminate with the township. The living of the former is a vicarage, and that of the latter is a p. curacy, in the diocese of Ripon. Value of the former, £380;* of the latter, not reported.* Patron of both, Col. Tempest. T. church was rebuilt in 1727. There are three Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £21.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tong has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bradford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tong and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tong, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tong".