In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Beckington like this:
BECKINGTON, a village and a parish in Frome district, Somerset. The village stands near the river Frome and the East Somerset railway, 3 miles NE of Frome; and has a post office‡ under Bath. It was formerly a place of some importance, carrying on woollen manufactures; but has suffered greatly from the decline of the clothing trade. The parish includes also the hamlet of Rudge. Acres, 1,830. Real property, £5,243. Pop., 1,036. Houses, 229. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Standerwick, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. ...
Value, £540.* Patron, S. L. Sainsbury, Esq. The church was restored in 1861, and it contains monuments of the Seymours and the poet Daniel. There are a Baptist chapel, national, British, and boarding schools, and charities £23. Thomas Beckington, Bishop of Bath and Wells, who figured in the legislation against the Wickliffites, was a native; and Huish, one of the editors of the Polyglott Bible, was rector.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Beckington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mendip. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Beckington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Beckington, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Beckington".