In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eccleshill like this:
ECCLESHILL, a township-chapelry in Bradford parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Aire, adjacent to the Leeds and Lancaster railway, near Apperley station, 3 miles NNE of Bradford. It includes part of Apperley-Bridge village; and has a post office under Leeds. Acres, 1, 070. Real property, £10, 549; of which £260 are in mines. Pop., 4, 482. Houses, 1, 038. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the woollen trade. The chapelry was constituted in 1858. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £64.* Patron, the Vicar of Bradford. The church is modern; and there are five dissenting chapels, two public schools, and a mechanics' institute built in 1869.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Eccleshill has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bradford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Eccleshill and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eccleshill, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Eccleshill".