In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fairburn like this:
FAIRBURN, a township in Ledsham parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Aire and the North Midland railway, 2½ miles NNW of Ferrybridge. Acres, 1, 386. Real property, £2, 826; of which £83 are in quarries. Pop., 458. Houses, 112. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Fairburn has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Selby. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Fairburn and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fairburn, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Fairburn".