In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Esholt like this:
ESHOLT, a township-chapelry in Otley parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Aire, near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 3½ miles NE of Shipley r. station, and 5¾ N of Bradford. Post town, Guiseley, under Leeds. Real property, with Hawksworth, £4, 528. Pop., 369. Houses, 75. The property is divided among a few. A Cistertian nunnery was founded here, in the 12th century, by Simon de Ward; went to the Calverleys; and passed to the Stansfields. Esholt Hall, a splendid modern mansion, the seat of W. R.Stansfield, Esq., now occupies the nunnery's site. The chapelry was constituted in 1854. The living is a p. curacy, united with the p. curacy of Hawksworth, in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £100. Patron, W. R.Stansfield, Esq. The church is recent; and there are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Esholt has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bradford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Esholt and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Esholt, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Esholt".