In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Edlington like this:
EDLINGTON, a parish in Doncaster district, W. R. Yorkshire; 2½ miles SE of Conisbrough r. station and 4¾ SE by S of Doncaster. Post town, Conisbrough, under Rotherham. Acres, 1, 727. Real property, £2, 314. Pop., 149. Houses, 34. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £260. Patron,-B. Wrightson, Esq. The church is ancient and good; and has a Norman arch, a square tower, and a memorial window, -the last of two lights, representing Christ's baptism and the last supper, and placed in it in 1859.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Edlington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Doncaster. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Edlington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Edlington, in Doncaster and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Edlington".